Thursday, February 12, 2009

" Life on the color line"


The book I am reading is called " Life on the color line" by Gregory Howard Williams. This book is based on his story of growing up. Greg was raised as a white for most of his childhood but one day everything turns. There were already problems with his family but once those worsened so did his life. He found out he was half black and everything turned upside down. He and his family originally lived in Virginia where the father owned a tavern where he would serve black and white soldiers or anyone. The father was also a constant drunk and as time went by he got worse and worse. He also would beat on his wife which several times she would try and run away. One time she did and greg saw that so he asked if he and his brothers and sister could come. They were so close but the father caught them and beat the mother. In the end the mother ended up running away only taking Greg's younger sibling leaving him and his brother mike behind. So, far the mother has not come back for them. The dad moved mike and greg to Muncie Indiana where they now live as blacks ( what the father is) leaving their old selves behind. 


The reason I chose this book is because of the college reading list I have. I techniqually finished the requirements because I already read one book " Night" by Ellie Wiesel. Though I told myself I wanted to try and read the whole list of books during my time in this class. I have to admit I really am liking this book a lot and cant wait to start on the other ones because they are all non fictional and seem really interesting just like " night" and " life on the color line".

No comments:

Post a Comment